Why XyWrite

Hi, everyone. The following article in the November '98 issue of
_The_Editorial_Eye_ is a good example of why XyWrite is better.

(Yes, I just got the Nov '98 issue. Routing can be pretty slow around our
office.)

Enjoy.

	"Deleted Text That Just Won't Die"
	Keith Ivey

	... [introductory chatter deleted] ...

	Kathryn Hall . . . alerted us to a _Washington_Post_ article
	that reported several reappearing edits in . . . the Ken Starr
	report. . . . "The version of the Starr report made available
	on the Internet contained footnotes that were absent from the
	printed version Starr delivered to Congress."

	Starr's team wrote the report in WordPerfect, and in converting
	it for the Internet, the House of Representatives' technicians
	got more than they bargained for. "The report suddenly sprouted
	footnotes that previously had been trimmed by Starr's
	prosecutors and dropped some words intended for publication,"
	the _Post_ article says.

	"When one edits out footnoted material in WordPerfect, the
	document inserts an invisible symbole into the text that says,
	in effect, ignore the following passage. But the conversion to
	HTML had the effect of inserting a countermanding symbol:
	Ignore the ignore command," it continues.

	... [and it continues] ...

The lesson drawn from this article is that "we've got to allow time for
human checkpoints such as proofreading and quality control. . . ."

Yes, but there is a more profound lesson: Use XyWrite.

Shawn

shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx