More evidence for why XyWrite is best

 >From the most recent issue of THE SCIENCES (a truly excellent magazine,
despite the fact that I often write for it), Jaron Lanier, a computer
software scientist of some note, describes why adding "intelligence" to
computer programs is not always good:

"For example, the current generation of word processors from Microsoft is
constantly trying to guess how the user wants to format paragraphs,
capitalize words, and carry out other details of the craft of writing. In my
lectures at computer science seminars I often take unscientific polls about
the effectiveness of those tools. For example, I ask the audience memebers
whether they are spending more time preventing Microsoft Word from numbering
paragraphs automatically than they used to spend setting the numbers
manually. I have generally found that most people feel that such automation
is over-automation, and that it wastes time. Those features of Word might
well be serving the vanity of the software designers better than it
addresses the needs of the user."

Later in his essay, Lanier also notes:

"In my own struggles with Word I have finally given in and now allow it to
format my documents the way it wants me to. I am essentially making myself
less of an individual so the computer can appear to know me better. (Yes,
the automatic features can be turned off, but that is so hard to do that
entire Web pages exist just to explain how."

To my mind, this demand that every writer conform to the ideals set by the
software can be only bad. It stifles individuality and demands conformity,
which are both essential to the field of creative writing.

Hence, though I know I am preaching to the choir, I say once again, "Hail,
Xywrite!".

Bob Zimmerman
Bob Zimmerman
13909 Briarwood Drive, #323