Re: Avant keyboard support package - UPDATED and SOLVED Win7 etc.

Hello Jordan,

Just to clarify, the Avant does not need any 'drivers' once programmed manually (see Faq) or by means of the Avant reprogramming software. The compatibility issue is with the reprogramming program which needs a real W2K, XP or Win 3.1/95/98 computer and US drivers for the keyboard interface while doing the reprogramming. I did not manage to get any of the virtual solutions to work. Once reprogrammed, you can use the keyboard with any operating system that accepts this kind of keyboard in the first place (any Windows version, Linux, OS/2, eComStation, or any other system that accepts a PC-type keyboard). No drivers are needed!

However, there is a solution to the compatibility issue that I discoved this morning. If you can boot your computer to DOS using a diskette or a USB drive, you can use the Setup for unsupported systems (Windows 7 etc.) included in this version. It worked for me. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! It is fully documented in the UPDATED VERSION of the package.
http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/Avant_keyboard_drivers_and_documentation.zip

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)