Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

Dear List,
Does anyone know of an external hard drive that is compatible with Win 98SE? My local computer technician found that my Win 98 SE OS rejected products that advertise such compatibility. (He says Win 98SE had six iterations, which may account for the problem.)
Sounds fishy to me. I used externals with Win98 SE for a long time. There
are so many ways:
1. plug a drive cable into the IDE port inside your box and run it (along
with power) outside your box where you plug the other end into any bare
drive. You don't need an enclosure: the bare drive is perfectly sealed and
can function just swell lying on the carpet next to your box or wherever.
You will have to shut down before attaching and detaching the cable to the
external drive.

2. USB (which in SE requires that you get certain drivers from the web).

3. Firewire--requires adding a card to the inside of your box.
If it were me, I'd take the first route. Just feed the IDE cable somewhere through the case of your box (this assumes you don't have a laptop); pull out one of the little pieces of metal at the back where cards go (you unscrew, as if you were adding a card with a port, but there's no card.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx