Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear List,
Does anyone know of an external hard drive that is compatible with Win 98SE? My local computer technician found that my Win 98 SE OS rejected products that advertise such compatibility. (He says Win 98SE had six iterations, which may account for the problem.)
The first thing that occurs to me in this connection is, What was the
format of that external hard drive? Because if it's NTFS, of course 98
can't read it. There are USB (and, if you look hard maybe parallel port)
boxes into which you can put any hard drive. Get an older model ATA hard
drive, format it under 98SE, and stick it in the box.
If you can afford it--and have the desk space and electrical circuits to
support it--a network of a Win 98 and a 2K machine, with the backup
drive connected to the 2k, would be another solution. You could continue
working in 98Se, and use the 2k box for anything that demanded more
up-to-date technology. Backing up over a network is quite easy, and 2k
can read Fat32 (somebody who actually uses it correct me if I'm wrong,
but I'm sure that's been said here) as Fat 32 cannot read NTFS. And the
network connection makes everything transparent. We save files to the XP
box's hard drive from four 98 boxes, two of which are still running
initial release.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx