RE: Xy4 Customization Guide Preview

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia M. Godfrey

Jordan wrote:
>>I do need to use the Zoom function to make out some of it<<

>And I need a magnifying glass to read the printout. One ought not look a
>gift horse in the mouth, and we are profoundly grateful to Bry for his
>labors, but if it isn't too much trouble, could you please increase the
>typesize?

Nope, not much trouble. I was kinda thinking the type might be a wee bit too
small (ain't too many spring chickens in this bunch, I suspect). What would
you suggest? 10? 11? The body type is 8 at the moment.

I'm so used to working with adjustable electronic print that I tend to
neglect the possibility of ink. And another angle to the screen vs. print
conflict is that a large page of type, on paper, is best formatted into two
columns; it's much easier to read. But on the screen, reading two columns
entails too much scrolling up and down. Since I'm thinking about these Xy
manuals as primarily electronic, single column is what I've opted to
produce.

>It seems fairly obvious that some importing/exporting/formatting has
>been done, since the pages are now 8.5 X 11--a very Good Thing: it means
>we can print them out and put them in a looseleaf book without wasting
>paper. Thanks for that too.

>But if that's being done, it should be easy to change the typesize too,
>no? And perhaps the font? It's a commonplace in publishing that one
>doesn't use sans serif type for long passages: it's too hard to read.
>Body Text, as the DTP apps call it, is usually a serif font: Times
>Roman, Caslon, any of the Garamonds, Century, etc. (That was done in the
>original: nice old-style font, though I'm not sure which. Paul the type
>expert?)

Without going into the sorry details...my stock of fonts for the app I'm
working with is VERY limited. But I DO have a serif font. Let's give it a
try.

>Sans fonts are used for headings, captions, and legends. (It's
>true that a lot of journals and magazines are disregarding this
>nowadays: they think it's "artistic" to print an article in 9-point
>Helvetica--and with a pale green screen over it too. Fine if none of
>their readers are over 55.)

>Patricia M(for Myopia) Godfrey

-BH