Win95 settings solved?

> > How do I create separate autoexec and config.sys files
> > for a DOS window or full screen session?
> Don't you have an autoexec.bat and config.sys in your c:\ directory?
Yes, I have them, but I'm never dead certain that they are used by
Win95 for its DOS settings.

> Here's what I would do: bag the batch file. Just point it to
> c:\xy4\editor.exe (or whatever directory you keep XyWrite in. See what
> happens.
Ha! This time it works perfectly. (I thought I had been unsuccessful
with this strategy before.)
The command line (Properties/Program) is:
  C:\XY4\EDITOR.EXE /e 4096
Working Directory:
  C:\XY4
The "trick" was to set Properties/Memory to:
 Expanded (EMS) memory --- 4096
The Win95 default seems to be 1024, which is less than XyWrite
wants.

> If that fails, go back to the icon and do this:
> Click on properties/program/advanced/click on dos.mode.
Ah. I've always avoided this because I like to mix XyDOS with a
couple of Windows programs (especially OED Concise and
Webster's dictionaries and the MikTeX typesetting system).

Great! Thanks for talking me through this. Setting EMS to 4096
appears to be the key.

> And what happens when you load the US dictionary instead?
Spellchecking with the US dictionary is never a problem. It's only
when I try to use the larger UK dictionary that things go Republican
(well... my great grandfather would have said "go Democrat").

Thanks again.
Myron