Re: tilde and kbd file

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:55:15 EDT

> but the damned kbd file will not load now

You need surgery. When KBD files go haywire, usually due to the inadvertent put of
one bad or invalid character, they can be absolute bears to debug. I've pulled my
hair out dozens of times. Do you have your original in a backup somewhere? It
might be fruitful to compare them, even if you've made many customizations, because
I'll bet there's a stray character somewhere that doesn't belong, and it may stand
out. However, if you don't know what to look for...

Then import your KBD file into XyWrite, DeFine the whole thing, run
"encode" against it, save the result and import THAT into emacs, and ship
it to me. This avoids ZIPping it. If you have one of the latest
versions of XYWWWEB.U2 (v045+), you can also use Carl's Quoted-Printable
MIME Encoder, "QPE", which does an amazingly good job, and is
fast. I mean, as a test, I QPE'd the whole of XYWWWEB.U2, which is a
million bytes of XPL, then sent it to myself between two internet providers,
QPDecoded the received file, and it was perfect. That blew me away;
there is a lot of really tough stuff in that file, phony-baloney characters &
whatever. And it decoded, under XyWrite, identical to the source.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxx