Re: Speedo accents

No need for you to respond to my query concerning a way to insert accents in
printing out Speedo characters. I found what seems to be a cleaner solution,
working in PostScript. In Fontmonger, a fine font-editing program, I modified a
copy of the default OS/2 Times New Roman font, which turns out to be a
"superfont" with a very wide range of alternate special characters, to give a
character set that has all the accents necessary, with none of Speedo's
omissions. Prints out fine in XyWin and I've put the new characters in a KBD
file, which turned out to be the only way to go.

The XyWrite code for calling a character in XyWrite for Windows is the code for
the Windows 3.1 character *originally* in the position the new character is
assigned to. The C acute assigned to ASCII 198 in my new table, for instance,
is called with Speedo code 146 for the AE dipthong assigned to 198 in the
standard Windows 3.1 array. So the upper-range characters in extended view make
no sense but are fine in graphics view.

The character set is close to the Windows 3.1 Latin 2 set--one is shown in the
HP LaserJet 4 manual--but necessarily modified for workarounds. An exact
duplicate wasn't possible because of limitations all around.

Going into this in a little detail in case anyone else is interested. RH