Re: XyWin on XP

--- RJW823@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My desktop:
> BIOS  American Megatrends Inc. 2001, 4/9/2004
> Total physical memory        512   MB
> Available physical memory     255.37 MB
>   Bob White
>
> In a message dated 11/18/2005 12:05:58 P.M. Central
> Standard Time,
> PriscaMG@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> We've apparently eliminated CPU and RAM, or at
> least gross amount of
> RAM. So the next things to look at are BIOS and
> chipsets. Unfortunately,
> they're harder to find out, esp. in Name Brand
> systems.

Bob,

There is a free diagnostic utility program called PCI,
which is available for a few platforms, but you
probably want the DOS version. (For best results, run
it from a DOS boot.) It queries all the installed
hardware components and reports back on what they are:
mfr., version # and so forth. You can capture this
output to a file, and print it out for reference.
Probably an invaluable item for every computer user's
toolkit. The PCI distros always include a database
that is essential for good, up-to-date results. The
Zip archive you get may not have the latest database,
which gets updated regularly. There is an associated
website for this. If you have any trouble locating
PCI for download, let me know and I'll send it to you.
 (In early Dec., when I get back from a trip.) I
believe this is not the only free utility in this
category, but it is the one I use and am familiar
with.

Jordan