Identifying sender of e-mail

On 2 December I asked (in part)

> (Incidentally, is it just my reader [Compuserve's Mosaic] that reports
> *all* posts on this list as coming from "xywrite@ccat..." rather than
from
> an individual? or does this happen to everyone?)
>
>From several replies I've received already, it seems that I didn't make
myself clear. What I was talking (complaining?) about is the *list* of
incoming e-mails that appears on my screen as soon as I log off after
collecting mail. It comes in 4 columns. Col.2 gives the "Subject" line,
col.3 identifies the sender (and is the item I was referring to), col.4
gives the date. Col.1 signals the nature of the incoming mail, and
indicates if that mail is as yet unread.

All posts from this List give "xywrite@ccat ..." in col.3 of this screen;
when Wendell Cochran wrote to me on this topic, it gave his name. Since a
posting from my daughter-in-law just gives her first name all lowercase,
while others give, variously, a full name or a name in quotes or an e-mail
address, I now presume the information given in col.3 for all posts from
this list is generated by the upenn listserv. So I'm wiser ...

Eric Van Tassel