Re: robert's advice on setting up shortcuts and icons to start xywrite

Andy Turnbull wrote:
I don't know how to partition a drive, or put (or use) anything in Windows program files, but I've been running XY from below windows in 6 or 7 machines, starting with Windows 95, and never had any trouble.
Windows never corrupted itself or got infected and had to be
reinstalled? You've been _very lucky_ (esp. with 9x). But even if
you don't get into trouble, as I always tell other women (I don't
know quite what the guy analogy would be), "You don't store your
groceries, your everyday and company china, and your pots and
pans in the oven, do you?" It's totally illogical to dump opsys,
Win apps, DOS apps, and data on one drive/partition.
For all versions bfore Vista, you either need to get an
additional program (Partition Commander or the like) to partition
the drive as it comes from the manufacturer or wipe the drive,
partition from the Windows setup disk, and reinstall Windows
(rather difficult if the manufacturer didn't give you a real
Windows CD, but just a disk-image restore CD.) Or you could buy
bare iron and and an OEM copy of Windows and do it from
scratch--but I doubt even Robert could do that on a laptop. They
don't sell bare-iron laptops, at least not in the USA; I believe
they do in the UK.
Vista DOES let you live partition a drive: that is, you can
unpartition the unused part of a drive and create new partitions
on it without destroying what's on the used part. This is an
enormously useful and helpful tool, and makes Vista worth putting
up with, at least on laptops, IMO.
I do use a usb key to back up my dos files, and I have (recently) learned to do it in Windows. I liked the last century better than this one anyway.
Writing in 1964 and describing the medieval mind set, C. S. Lewis
said that "At his most characteristic, medieval man was ....an
organizer, a codifier, a builder of systems. .... Of all our
modern inventions I suspect that they would most have admired the
card index." Reading that in the 1980s, I immediately thought
"No, the computerized database." Think what they could have done
with it!

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx