Of small vessels and some flotsam and jetsam

xylist subscriber Wolfgang Bechstein posts accounts of
his salt-water adventures, usually aboard his inflatable,
Gonbai, to another mailing list. I'm delighted to announce
that he has allowed me to "reprint" them at the url
in my sig. Treat yourself. They're great fun.

		*

Although the site never was intended to be xpl exclusively,
it pretty much has been till now. The main exception has
been reprints of Chuck Shepard's "News of the Weird" several
weeks after it's syndicated to newspapers. Currency fell
victim to various other priorities earlier this year. That
situation has been corrected (Joe) and I hope won't recur.
I've written a little xpl pgm to tag the column and if
I fall behind again, remind me that I now have no excuse.
If you've never read "Weird," you just gotta at least try it.

		*

I've delayed these announcements because I wanted first
to gussy up Wolfgang's pieces with some graphics--haven't
got to it yet--and because I finally took action on my
longstanding threat to change my user name, thus my url.
But while waiting for Escape to make the change and after
I'd notified a bunch of friends of it, the ISP decided to
reserve the name it had agreed to and Nathan announced:

≪ [...] a non-competitive competition, in two stages:

1. To propose the most useful small XPL program that does
not already exist. [...] Anyone who wants to avoid proposing
those that are already well known can take a look at the
XYWWWeb site, which contains a large assortment. [...] ≫

Convinced that mailbox clutter accounts for the xylist's
sky-high churn rate (obscure itsybitsy NotaBene has a
good-humored, stable list with minimal chatter and three
times as many subscribers)--I've refrained from hyping
every trivial new pgm and fix, from exploiting other folks'
announcements to hype my own site, and from using this
list to iron out individual user probs. But it's hardly
been a secret that xyWrite 3 users (or are we excluded
from this rfp?) can find a substantial assortment of xpl
at the url below. Once again, I learn that around here
restraint is a misguided impulse.

A major overhaul I uploaded in the spring was so
sweeping I renamed the small overlay that gives xyW3
much of xyDos 4's functionality by doing what other xpl
programmers said couldn't be done. The most recent upload
was 5 July; unless you've looked at the site since then,
you'll find stuff that wasn't there the last time you looked
and better code.

As for that url change, stay tuned. 	--a

!xyWise/!xyWiz/!xyWWWiz: XyW 3 stuff + nautical treasure @xxxxxxxxhttp://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/ ==========================================