Re: Scroll Lock (was: Macro Recording Glitch)

Eric van Tassel is right that turning off the scroll lock command inserter
puts a NI into the file. That leads to an interesting metaphysical point.
Q: What controls what macro recording puts into the file? A: Your keyboard
file. If you examine it, you will find that many key assignments begin with
an XH or NI that provide an important function (sometimes), but are useless
in an XPL program. For instance, the commands on Scroll Lock are NI,TS. I
remember vaguely from my Nota Bene days that someone (Woozley? Even-Zohar?)
made a macro-recording keyboard that omitted anything unwanted, and
redefined the macro recording key so it loaded MACRO.KBD before beginning,
and reloaded the standard keyboard afterward.

To make a long story short, I have been making a macro keyboard for my own
use with XY/XW. That involves taking out the XH's, NI's, Qn's, etc., that I
otherwise would have to delete afterward.

That is why I have been trying to solve this silly problem of putting an
ENTER into a file by keystroke recording. Once it is solved, I will be glad
to post the keyboard so others can try it out. No one will be able to use
it without alteration, because its key assignments are based on my own
highly customized keyboard rather than on the standard one.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325, U.S.A.