Re: U2

Reply to note from Robert Holmgren  Mon, 12 Jun
2000 23:30:59 EST

-> > I disagree, Robert. I've assigned various standalone
-> > functions to these keys, without any ill effect.
->
-> Those are two different things. Of course you _can_ do it...

Why "of course"? You couldn't do it in Xy3; the ability to program
shifting keys was *added* in Signature/Xy4. That, it seems to me,
is better evidence of XyQuest's "intent" than the fact that nulls
are assigned to these keys in the default keyboard file. Nulls are
assigned to other keys as well. In any event, you're the last
person I'd expect to insist that XyWrite be used in the way that
XyQuest (or TTG) intended.

That said, while I see no need for an across-the-board proscription,
it probably *is* advisable to assign , in particular, to a
fully dedicated key of its own. Given that it will launch any
program that happens to be on the CMline, there's no telling what an
errant keystroke might do.

So, Judith: play it safe. Choose a non-shifting key.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/