U2 glitches

Two glitches in U2 (using XyDos4.018 with Windows98, first
edition on a Dell Inspiron 3200 laptop):

[1] When I call up the index and scurry around fast with
either the down arrow or the page down key, the xywrite
screen disappears and I get the following message box on my
desk top:

"Xywrite
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be
terminated. Quit all programs and then restart your
computer.

"If the program consistently encounters problems, click the
Start button, then select Help, Trouble Shooting, and "If
you have trouble running MS-Dos programs.

"Details: The progam tried to execute an invalid
instruction. Fault LOcation: 2BE9:ODC8 [I've been through
this a number of times in the last two days and never gotten
the same location number twice]. Interupts in service:
None."

I've followed the Dos troubleshooting instructions, but they
don't help.

When I restart the computer in Dos and and scurry around in
the U2 index there, the screen freezes.

I seem to have narrowed down the point where the problem
occurs: under {funcs} on line NK Change the state of the
numeric lock key.

The NK line shows up twice when the screen locks up in Dos,
and even prints twice, but in expanded view it only exists
once. In Windows, xywrite switches too quickly to the
desktop and the error box for me to be able to see if the
line doubles.

These problems do NOT occur if (a) I use ctrl+end to go to
the end of the file in Draft View or (b) I sneak up on NK
very, very, very slowly using he down arrow. They DO occur
if I use ctrl+end in Formatted View.

Any ideas?

[2] Shortly--but not immediately--after installing U2, I
lost the ability to toggle between a Xywrite screen and the
desktop and/or email by using alt+tab. It no longer works
with the alt key I reassinged to U2 Help, OR the alt key
that still has the factory assignment. (I have to admit,
sheepishly, that this problem occurred even closer in time
to my consolidating my Xy progam files by getting rid of a
bunch of them. They all still seem to be in the trash bin,
so I should be able to get them back.)

Again, any ideas?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Judith Davidsen