Re: OT Use of Ellipses (was Wikipedia entry on XyWrite)

David Auerbach wrote:
 There's another use of the word 'ellipsis'. An example:
  Edna went to the movies and ate popcorn.
We are wont to say, in the vocabulary of baby logic, that the logical form of that is a conjunction of the two statements:
 Edna went to the movies
 Edna ate popcorn
That may be the logical explanation of it, but the grammatical
one--holding true, I suspect, in most of the IE languages--is
that it is a compound verb: one subject, two or more verb, whose
"actions" or states of being are "performed" by the one subject.

ellipses are rampant. (rampant on a field of grammar).
Bless my archaic soul! Don't tell me someone else is familiar
with the language of blazonry?
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx