Re: OT Use of Ellipses (was Wikipedia entry on XyWrite)

OK. But even that can be a problem, as in this quotation from a news
article about Secretary Rice:

"The problem is that since Annapolis there has been a certain ... level of activity that raises questions and they need to address that."

here: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080615/D91ALTD80.html; eudora="autourl"> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080615/D91ALTD80.html

Surely, in a newspaper article, and between quotation marks, ellipsis should not be used except to indicate an omission of text? Surely there are other ways of indicating tone? Indeed, there's something fishy about the whole thing. It raises so many questions as to who made the decision, and when, to interpret a pause that may or may not have actually taken place.