Re: Xy Advantages (was XYWRITE digest 2541)

George Scithers wrote:
Search -- where the search string can include wild cards -- and change invisible and change visible (all work much faster and more reliably than the MicroSquish version)
Heavens, yes. I once had to edit a long typewritten MS (the author
didn't belive in computers; this was only about 10 years ago). We had it
OCR'd. The OCR software couldn't tell the difference between numeral one
and lowercase ell, zero and capital oh. (Lots of statistics in this.) I
imported it into Xy, ran CI lN (i.e., lowercase ell and wild number)
then wild number and lc ell. Did the same for the ohs and zeros. Mission
accomplished in, what, 2 minutes max. Try getting the same results in
any other word processor!
Generate and macros that include not only blocks of text, but also
commands like 'change indenting' or 'change line spacing' or 'insert
current date.'

Or like ≪sz14Pt≫≪MB+BO≫Chapter ≪C2≫ ≪md-bo≫CR/LF
≪USINIT≫ and then code to position your cursor back before the ≪MD-BO≫ so you can type in the chapter title.
I haven't used Word enough to be sure, but I have not yet found a way to
make a WP macro include text. All the code you can figure out how to
use, but text? No way.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx