Keyboard assignments

This is really, really dumb, I know, but I thought I knew how to do this
and now it's not working. I want to add a few definitions to my keyboard
file, so that I just need to use a shifting key and " and ` or ' to get
smart quotes. From both the Customization Manual and Herb Tyson's book,
it would seem that all I need to do is enter the R values, comma
separated, after the equal sign; e.g.
TABLE=CTRL
40=R2,R6,R5
But I've done it and reloaded the keyboard file, and I still get plain
old quotes ("). The em and en dashes I do with save-gets, but because I
need two each (for open and close, double and single quotes), I thought
using the keyboard file, with a different shift key for each pair, would
be more efficient and easier to remember. Running under Win98, but all
the other XyW keyboard assignments work (even to the extent that when I
forget and hit Ctrl-V for paste, as I sometimes do, I get View instead).
Any ideas?
Patricia