Re: Slightly OT - Vista Directories/DOS Batch

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:26:21 +0100

> Total system crash. As in, can do nothing except press restart
> button... There ought to be a way of recording
> their last good state and restoring them, as Mac OS invariably and
> gracefully does.

Bully for MacOS. Windows doesn't recover.

> After such a crash, your previously existing set of Explorer
> windows is invariably reduced to null.

Well, umm, isn't EVERYTHING reduced to null? You rebooted your
machine, right? If MacOS takes constant snapshots of memory,
and restores it in entirety on reboot, isn't MacOS just
recreating the conditions that led to a crash in the first
place? Isn't the whole purpose of rebooting to clear out memory
and start afresh?

The real question -- for you, but not for us -- is: why are you
crashing?

>>> explorer /e,c:\usr\07
>>> explorer /e,W:\users\bil\desktop\hd\usr\07

>>> However, this batch file doesn't work in Vista...

>> Works for me, under Vista Ultimate...

> Not on my Home Premium, however.

>From your description, it sounded to me like it was working.
You just had a malformed BATch file. You thought it should do
one thing, but in fact it did another: it launched one explorer
window at a time. That's the way you had it structured. It
sounded like it did exactly the same thing on your machine as on
mine!

> Now for another question:

About XyWrite?

> suppose, on an NT file system, I know that sector 23029617 is bad.
> How do I discover what file has been associated with it?

Google: "disk sector determine filename". This is a
**XyWrite** maillist!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx