Re: Off-topic CD-R

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Mon, 16 Jun
2003 10:22:52 -0400

I don't know if this is even on the radar, but I use CDRecord (and CDRDAO),
which is GNU copyleft software, maintained very carefully for years and years,
and available on every possible platform. It is a bit hard to master (like
many Unix-derived utils), but one thing is guaranteed: you don't make
coasters. If it isn't going to burn correctly, it just won't burn period.
Part of the reason is that burning with CDRecord is a two-stage process, first
the making of an image file (which of course you can test, to make sure it
works, with something like Daemon-Tools virtual CD, before you burn), then the
burning. I have some very handy scripts for preparing the list of files to
burn, for breaking too many files down into more than one CD, and for burning
the CDs -- if you're interested. And can give a quick tutorial.

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx