Word Processor File Formats

Theanks for the inquiry. The programs you mention are primarily
designed for "fixed translation." By that mean two things. First, they
translate from word processor X to word processor Y (and generally are
limited to traditional word processors). Secondly, they essentially are
NOT interactive; rather, they're automated. If a particular code
appears in the input file, a particular code is placed in the output
file. EasyType, by contrast, is highly interactive. It originated as a
word processor-to-typesetter translator. Typesetters generally mandate
a need for different codes depending upon the results you want to
achieve. For example, if I'm using my particular English Times font in
the "1 to 4 position" on the typesetter and the input file is in
WordStar, I would translate the first control-B (^B) in the input file
to "" and the next ^B toggle to "," etc. If I used my
English Times fonts in the "5 to 8 position," those values would
change. If I used an alternate font, they might (but not necessarily
would) change. Someone else's English Times font using the very same
typesetter might require yet other codes. This is but one, trivial
example of the flexibility which must be built in to a translator which
serves the typesetting market. (The forthcoming release of EasyType
offers more than 300 such options, though most users can get by with a
dozen or so options for typical files.) Actually, it isn't as complex
as it might first appear. Often a user needs to just create a small
handful of "configurations" to be prepared for most future jobs. After
registration, EasyType has the ability to read in an unlimited number
of "configuration files" which the user optionally saved from prior
jobs. So, this is much different than an automated, word processor-to-
word-processor translator.
   Several desktop publishers have similar requirements. So the new
EasyType has built in capabilities to handle their needs as well.
   Another new feature--unlike virtually anything on the market--is
the ability to tell EasyType to disregard its own internal logic
related to virtually each separate translation algorithm. What this
means is that the sophisticated user who chooses to do so may use the
program to translate nearly any input file to nearly any conceivable
type of output format.
   Now, aren't you sorry you asked?