Shareware

As you know, I too run a BBS. (In fact, The Advocate/NoWar BBSes
celebrate their fifth anniversary today!) By the same token, I also am
a software developer. Among my products are seven shareware packages.
In the context of this background, I disagree with your opinion that
sysops should be entitled to complimentary registrations of sharware
programs. One basis is practical: I find that BBSes provide an
insignificant proportion of registrations; shareware distributors and
others provide the bulk. Another basis is more principled: I view the
shareware author and BBS operator as having a symbiotic relationship.
At least to the extent the author benefits from BBS exposure the sysop
benefits from the conscientious uploading and related costs. . . .
That said, though I've yet to have a single request for complimentary
registration from a sysop, my response probably would be to offer my
customary discount schedule offered to other types of distributors.
Depending upon how much of my line they carry, they're entitled to a
particular discount. If they want to make a de facto sale to themselves
for personal use of a product, more power to 'em.
   As a sysop I indeed am sympathetic to your position, knowing full
well the demands of a well-maintained BBS. I'd also LIKE to believe
free registrations are approrpriate. But, I don't--and we disagree.