Re: DIR not working right

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Wed, 28 May 2014
22:37:34 +0100

> Harry, you don't say which platform, in this instance, you're
> running Xy4 from. I had a similar problem when I ran Xy4 under
> VirtualBox using either W2K or XP as the intermediary. If it
> hadn't been for that, I would have stayed with VirtualBox. The
> problem doesn't exist under VMware. ...

I've seen this sort of flaky interaction between the Xy4 DIR command
and Windows since at least NT, maybe even Win95. I've always assumed
that it's a bug in either EDITOR.EXE or the Windows VDM, but never
got annoyed enough to try to craft an XPL-based workaround. If DIR
gives me an unexpected result, I usually just issue U2's
P1 DIR[/switch(es)] [filespec]
which imports the output of the DOS DIR command (or any DOS
commmand) into XyWrite. It's fast and error-free.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx