Re: Richard's Objections

Richard Minutillo acknowledges that
>[footnote] placement problems are worse in XYWIN. . . . Maybe the next
>version will have the true remedy.

Maybe. My worries are that no new version will ever materialize; or that,
if one does, it will only concern itself with "vertical integration" [?]
and other concepts of no interest to me. In the meantime, I really do want
to find a solution. That XyWin is only "16-bit" doesn't worry me in the
slightest: I'd be quite content if it merely did all that it claimed to.

Also, I'm one of a number of people who intermittently attempt to push TTG
toward doing something. It's true that none of my own efforts seems to
have been of any use whatever. This activity may look hostile, but
hostility isn't what prompts me.

Software companies certainly can be deterred by their own customers, or
potential customers. I regularly use an excellent non-Windows shareware
utility that's just as usable and useful under Win95 as it was when it was
written. But I'm sure the company gets few new registrations, if any. I
sent a question about one aspect of the program and also suggested that
they might add a Win95 interface to it. (Win95 programs aren't necessarily
bloated.) Answer: they'd already done much of the work on this, but had
decided against proceeding. MS has too many operating systems (and always
the promise of yet more), and an ever lower percentage of computer users
have much idea of what they are doing. That company is happy to sell
registrations for and to support its DOS utility, but wants no part of the
Windows market--they're more satisfied with a new niche in "forensic
computing" (which I think means looking for traces of dope deals on the
hard disks of computers seized by the feds).

>. . . why not use the SemWare Editor. . . .

I do. I now have the latest (I think), "32-bit console mode" version.
Unlike its predecessors, this feels curiously slow and jerky. How do you
find it--or do you use an earlier version?