Re: xyWin customization guide?

Hi, Kenneth Frank . I think your arrival here may disprove
that maxim about honey being more attractive than vinegar.

I not only understand TTG's problem about v3 loyalists, I did
when I upgraded quickly to xyDos 4--not from need, but as a
gesture of support and gratitude to TTG for picking up the torch.
Customers aren't insensitive to the predicament of small
developers. It's crucially important to xyWrite users too for TTG
to thrive, and watching the company stumble over basics is
dismaying. With xyWrite, you can't get more basic than
customization.
Undocumented, xyWrite's power makes it an uncharted minefield.

To me, the best news in your posting--aside from your welcome
candor--was that TTG has made v4 "almost completely plug-and-play
compatible with v3 macros and help frames" (not that that
"almost" thrills me). By macros, I trust you mean functions (thus
keyboards as well as xpl). Sloppily documented function
redefinitions compounded by the voicemail-from-hell were why I
dumped xyDos 4.0111 and didn't upgrade to xyWin. If that "almost"
is documented, I--and I would hope many other v3 loyalists--will
hasten to order xyWin. The minimum xyWin configuration data I'd
hope for is a comprehensive delineation of v3-v4 differences and
full tables of functions, commands, VAs and defaults, and error
values (hmmmm ... what am I forgetting).

Having bought v4 only to be forced back to v3, the charge for
tech support seems like a real slap. Not that that's a practical
issue for me: I still feel so burned by expensive, futile
deadline calls to TTG when xyDos 4 was released that my
registration card is still in the box and I'd have a hard time
ever calling again.

Which raises a question. I always envied CIS customers their rich
xyWrite archive, which apparently has been purged. Have you considered mirroring the
TTG bbs archive to an Internet address--the UPenn server if convenient for
Nathan, or a Simtel or some other site? (I haven't a clue how
such arrangements are set up, but 'net-savvy subscribers must
know.) Having those files--like those of most
developers--available by ftp would be a blessing for users
generally, not just xylist subscribers, and probably for TTG as
well.

I'm surely not alone in hoping, now that the ice is broken, that
you won't be a stranger here, and that you'll let us know as soon
as you can about the new developments and enhancements. You'll
not want for beta testers from this group.

But whom shall I write poison pen letters to now? ;) --Annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc