Re: Euro in Xy3

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:05:32 -0700 (MST)

> It would help if I could remember what the Euro symbol looked like...!

It's defined as a "rounded E" with two horizontal bars of unequal length instead of just
one
(like E) -- approximately an em dash above and an en dash below. Or maybe its the other way
around, I forget. Anyway, if you want to see what it looks like, write an HTML document in
XyWrite, include the character "€" in it, and display the doc with your browser
(in CP850).
Ugly looking thing. So much for your suave sophisticated Europeans! The product of consensus,
or a committee, no doubt.

> Is there a way you can smash two characters together or overlay them to form the Euro symbol?

It depends entirely on your printer. Can it back space? Can it microspace? I haven't used
anything but a laser for the past ten years, so don't know about others -- but lasers can
certainly do it, and XyWrite can make 'em do it.

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx
---------