Re: Browser Alternatives (off topic)

: Off Topic

Hi Patricia,

I tried to send this to you directly, but it bounced:

[ This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to
the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it
didn't work out.

:
204.122.16.68 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 ...
User unknown
Giving up on 204.122.16.68.]

Someone else had this problem recently, no ?

You wrote:

"Does anybody use Opera--or another browser other than
Exploiter or Firefox--and would be willing to answer a
few questions off list? "

Yes, the full Mozilla Suite (on two platforms), ver.
1.7.12. There is a recently released update, ver.
1.7.13 -- possibly the last to this discontinued
development branch of the Gecko tree -- which I have
downloaded but not installed. (I'll need a convincing
reason to do so. In the past, such reasons have been
significant security patches in the later version.) I
haven't followed it closely, but there was a ver. 1.8x
branch for well over a year, though per my casual
observation it always seemed to be in some stage of
alpha or beta. The Moz Suite has been superceded by a
new version called SeaMonkey. It may have some UI and
functional differences, and is far enough from being
the mature product that the Moz Suite was, that I plan
to just keep tabs on it from the sidelines for awhile.

Of course, the suite is for those who prefer an
integrated approach, with everything under one roof.
If you are using Thunderbird, it would seem that you
have signed up for the modular approach instead.

I tried Opera for awhile, some time ago. This was
mainly a couple of the OS/2 versions -- one a
relatively late beta, one early after it went GA.
They did not seem to like my Matrox video card, and
had some very nasty crashes, the kind that bring down
the OS -- a great rarity for that platform. I thought
they had some innovative features in the Opera design,
also some annoying features, but overall I did not
really warm to the product and doubt I'll revisit it.
Not with Moz being as good and reliable as I find it
to be. A very good fit for me, much as Xy has always
been.

Happy to answer any queries about this off-list.

Jordan