browsers

Mozilla is a stripped-down version of Netscape. Firebird is a lighter
version of mozilla. I find it very useful, even better than Opera --
and the new version 0.7 just got released yesterday. So did version 0.2
of thunderbird, the mozilla project's email app. Both are small and
open-source, therefore extensible (with lots of extensions), and free.
Both are available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. I'm liking both of
them a lot.

The firebird browser has a built-in pop-up blocker, and you can right
click on any advertisement graphic to block images from that server.
There's an extension for firebird to replace all Flash objects on web
pages with a button you have to press before it plays -- great for
getting rid of those annoying Flash ads.

Thunderbird has built-in Bayesian filtering for spam. Also has the
usual support for different address book formats (imports), multiple
accounts, filtering, etc. -- a full replacement for Outlook.