Re: Word Count Across Files routine from U2

Dear Carl
Oh dear, I've been running the routine all these years without ever taking that on board. I have often used in XY4 with a file open and selected 'R' when offered the choice. Since I use Ersatz Autosave, I probably save quite frequently anyway and the result has normally been reliable.
There is a difference in Notabene, however. With a file open, and
choosing 'R,' Notabene opens the file again and leaves it open but does
not carry out a wordcount, or at least does not include it in the final
total. That was what I found puzzling.

Paul

cld@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Paul:

The directions (HELP WCAF) explicitly say:

-- Quote --
2) All files included in the filespec should be STored or ABorted before running WCAF. If you fail
to do so and encounter the message "File is already open--open again?
(Y)es,(N)o,(G)o,(R)ead", do NOT answer "Go" or the file will be ABorted and any
changes lost! If you answer "Yes" or "Read", the word count will operate on the
file as saved to disk (not the file as displayed), and the word count may thus be ambiguous. The
best response is "No" or "Escape", which stops the word count. You can then
STore or ABort the file(s) and begin again.
-- Unquote --
If you still have a problem, let me know.