Re: OT: Lean and mean XP for a 256K machine

Robert Holmgren wrote:

tlist.exe >tlist.txt

Then post the entirety of tlist.txt in a message here. Let's
see what's running on your machine. . XP is
always running tons of unnecessary stuff. But why did you
knowingly buy such an underpowered machine?

Here without shame is the Tlist. Any further slimming tips appreciated. (avp.exe is Kaspersky. Cvpnd is for the VPN to the office.) Can I kill Spoolsv, for instance,  for the majority of time when I'm not printing?

   0 System Process
   4 System
1096 smss.exe
1632 csrss.exe
1656 winlogon.exe
1700 services.exe
1712 lsass.exe
1864 svchost.exe
2004 svchost.exe
 160 svchost.exe
 440 svchost.exe
 528 svchost.exe
 804 explorer.exe      Program Manager
1060 spoolsv.exe
1188 ati2evxx.exe      ATI video bios poller
1228 avp.exe
1352 cvpnd.exe
1428 inetinfo.exe
 636 atiptaxx.exe      ATI Tray Icon Application
 704 avp.exe
 716 LTSMMSG.exe       Lucent Technologies Soft Modem Monitor
 844 ctfmon.exe
1164 alg.exe
3128 svchost.exe
3776 firefox.exe       Google - Mozilla Firefox
3264 cmd.exe           C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe - c:\xy\tlist.exe
1600 tlist.exe

As for underpowered, I've been looking for a small light computer--under 3 lbs--that  I can sling over my shoulder and carry around all day to blog from a rock festival. My sleek and pricey Sony TX650 had a motherboard meltdown, probably from such use last year, and just seems too delicate for regular outdoor excursions. The Sony processor is just 1.2 Ghz and 512MB of memory,  and the computer that preceded that was under 1 Ghz and 512MB and did everything I needed. I'm not doing CAD while playing videogames and making VOIP calls.

So 800 Mhz and 256MB didn't seem implausible just to run XY4, a browser and now and then a media player or audio editor. The guy who fixed the Sony strongly recommended Fujitsus for durability. And at 1/7 the price of the Sony, or any other current ultraportable  (which would also have  Vista on it, a nightmare for many media programs), benefits definitely outweigh costs.

Fujitsu also has all its drivers available for Win2K, though not for Win98. With the Kaspersky HTTP scanner off, at the moment I'm leaning toward sticking with XP--tweaked by the experts, of course.

Jon Pareles

Never miss a thing. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs