Re: OT question - Copernic Desktop Search

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
    I should have expressed myself more clearly. XP gives you the
option of searching for a file either by its name, or by a phrase or
words inside the file. In my experience, it cannot do the latter.

I think you do have to give it some kind of a file spec, even if
just *.*. Now it's true that 9x lets you omit the file spec (I
just tested it), but I never have.

The other thing is that if the files you're searching are NOT
ASCII or ANSII text, but in some encoded format (e.g., PDF,
Weird, WordPerfect), that may foil the search engine, though not
consistently. For example, even 98SE cannot find an ordinary
couple of words ("Editorial Services," part of my DBA) in
WordPerfect 9 files; just tested. I'd imagine any high-order
characters might too.
But then your later post says they're Xy files. OK, once I finish my chores, I'll reboot into XP and do some searches on the data drive, which is full of Xy files.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx