Re: OFF TOPIC - just this once more, it's too important

Thanks for this post. I have had dear friends who had Pan. cancer.

At 07:18 PM 11/6/01 -0500, you wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Young For Life Products, Ltd wrote: > Sorry for this, but I can't ethically NOT post this. The FDA is once > again using terrorist methods against an alternative treatment with > demonstrated benefit for terminal cancer patients. I hate to jump into such an undisciplined and frequently ill-informed discussion, especially on the XY list. The FDA is not the bogeyman it's often made out to be (see below). > Pray you're not a terminal cancer patient someday who finds an > alternative treatment that helps you; it is very likely the FDA will > take it away from you and leave you to die. I *am* a terminal cancer patient--pancreatic cancer doesn't leave many hostages. I've been fortunate enough to have had enough strength for the past few months to search out clinical trials and learn a lot about how this process works. Because research into PC is less common than for many other forms of cancer (only about 29,000 newly diagnosed patients each year, and most die within six months), not many drugs or other treatments have been properly documented as helpful specifically for PC. However, once any drug has achieved that status for some other form of cancer, the FDA does not prohibit its use for a non-approved disease; it just doesn't approve it till it is demonstrably effective enough to offset the risks that may be encountered. Lists of stage I, II, or III trials are provided by many government agencies websites, as well as sites of non-govenmental organizations. Requirements to qualify, location, procedures to inquire and get inclusion in a trial, and much other informantion accompanies each trial. Even if I don't qualify for a particular trial (e.e.already had radiation treatment or some competing chemo drug being compared for relative effectiveness, have or have not had whipple surgery, etc.), my doctor can decide to order the drug to administer locally rather than forcing me to travel to Baltimore or Houston (two of the top centers for pancreatic cancer--it's just that my health insurance won't cover an FDA non-approved drug, so I have to come up with the high payments myself. Fortunately so far one of the two FDA-approved conventional drugs has held my condition stable, giving me time to continue to investigate forthcoming trials and drugs that might take over when gemcitabine fails. Many of those trials are being fast-tracked by the FDA, so I may actually benefit from one of them. Now I know there are "alternative cancer treatment centers," many in Mexico, some in Canada, some even in the US, which proceed with highly questionable treatments with little demonstrable effectiveness (usually only a bunch of anecdotal cases)--believe me, I've been bombarded by friends and relations who have picked up on these stories and are absolutely convinced of numerous conspiracies to keep those sure-fire cures from me. It's both frustrating and infuriating to be constantly sent off to check out yet another bottled all-purpose cure for something I may survive more than a year through prayers of many, as much exercise and positive activities and attitude as I can muster, even the chemo and careful monitoring by my doctors (I've been hospitalized twice so far with infections that required IV-administered fluids and antibiotics), but not likely through the cure-of-the-day (week, month, Newsweek favorite) cited as the miracle drug that cured the accompanying anecdote, and by extension every form of cancer (known to mankind or not). I'm not impressed that some questionable treatments are legal in one state or another--state legislators give few bills the careful scrutiny required by complex issues. And "doctors" prosecuted in one state often simply move to another state and set up shop yet again--a recent case in the next county from Bloomington involved just such an unlicensed therapist, much loved by some of her patients and reviled by relatives of some non-surviving patients. Nor do I see any connection to the destruction of the WTC. The FDA has long walked this fine line of protecting us from many potentially harmful drugs and speeding up the process of documenting the safety and effectiveness of those treatments that will save the lives of a few or many potential recipients of the treatments approved. I apologize for going on at such length, but so much nonsense has been posted that I begin to wonder what has been done to Xywrite (strangling one of those irrelevant posters;^) -- it used to be the main topic of this list, as I recall... Dorothy p.s. November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month--you might do what you can to encourage this killer of a number of celebrities as well as unknown Xy-fans. Here's a press release: http://www.pancan.org/1advocacy/nov/pr2001.html And a Report of the Pancreatic Cancer Progress Review Group: http://planning.cancer.gov/prg_assess/prg/panprg/pancreaticcprg1.htm Cheers--and send those funny stories and movies you recommend to keep things on the light side... Dorothy *********** Dorothy Day day@xxxxxxxx