Re: Making the Transition

Robert Holmgren wrote:
You know, this _is_ available as a PDF and also a "live" XyWrite document, at: http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/XPL.ZIP I renamed it the "XyWrite Programming Language User?s Guide",
And an enormously valuable tool it is.
Maybe I'll make a PDF of Transition someday...
Sorry to have got your hopes up, but as I say, I only had that briefly, if at all. And the booklet I do have doesn't appear to be worth much, by itself. I still cannot believe SOMEONE, somewhere, doesn't have the original files of those books. It has also been borne in upon me that in asking for "proofreading" I was using a very ambiguous term. What I meant was reading one document against the other, character for character, to be sure they matched. That's what it meant when I started in publishing (46 years ago next month), but what it hardly ever means now. ("Follow copy--out the window" was the catchphrase.) Nowadays, "proofreading" means light copy editing, or what I sometimes call manuscript proofreading: reading a document cold (with nothing to compare it to), checking for typos and glaring errors in punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. But when a document has been OCR'd, it's as if it had been retyped, and it needs to be read against the original. -- Patricia M. Godfrey PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx