Beeps - was: Compatible older laptops

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Would also like error beeps,

This probably won't apply to a portable but there may be a way to get
something audible on a desktop.

Having a new motherboard with its manual, I noticed that the usually
unused two pins on the speaker connector on the mobo have names - Buz+ &
Buz-. So I disconnected my usual speaker (from the two outer pins Spk+
& Spk-) and connected another one to the two inner ones, Buz+ & Buz-.

The result was that I got clicks from Xy3 (where the speaker gives
nothing). But possibly connecting a buzzer instead of a speaker would
give something more audible.
John