XY 3+ freezes in Win 98

Hi, all.

I've been using Xywrite for about 13 years now. My latest version is 3+,
bought I don't know how many years ago but it works for me, so why change...

However, it does have a problem running under Windows 98, and I'm hoping
there's a fix or patch to address this -- without buying a newer version
which I don't need anyway.

Sometimes, for no reason that I'm certain of but which seems to be related to
typing quickly, perhaps hitting a certain combination of keys, it freezes the
screen. Mouse won't work, won't take commands, won't go to command line,
cursor won't move. I can hit cntrl-alt-del to close Xywrite, but if I try to
reload it it will still be frozen. Other applications will still work fine.
The only way I've found to recover is to do a complete reboot.

What's going on ? Is there a simple fix?

Thanks,

Pete