Re: Xy4 Customization Guide Preview

Quoting "Patricia M. Godfrey" :

> But if that's being done, it should be easy to change the typesize too,
> no? And perhaps the font? It's a commonplace in publishing that one
> doesn't use sans serif type for long passages: it's too hard to read.
> Body Text, as the DTP apps call it, is usually a serif font: Times
> Roman, Caslon, any of the Garamonds, Century, etc. (That was done in the
> original: nice old-style font, though I'm not sure which. Paul the type
> expert?) Sans fonts are used for headings, captions, and legends. (It's
> true that a lot of journals and magazines are disregarding this
> nowadays: they think it's "artistic" to print an article in 9-point
> Helvetica--and with a pale green screen over it too. Fine if none of
> their readers are over 55.)

I'm a lot younger, but I'm completely with you on the sparing use of
sans-serif! The idiocy of current trends in magazine "design" is beyond
comprehension (though some magazines are backing away from the worst
excesses of circa 2000).

Cheers,
Carlo

Carlo Caballero
Stanford Humanities Center
424 Santa Teresa St
Stanford, CA 94305 USA

tel. 650-724-8128
CarloC@xxxxxxxx

"'We did not waste the time rehearsing: Ysaÿe saw that he had an
experienced musician to deal with and was eager to have stopped playing
and start discussing the pancakes."	--Ginzburg, "Eugene Ysaÿe"