Re: From NB NY [Descenders]

At 12:38 PM 6/30/2008, Bill Troop wrote:
Michael, the problem may be that you caused the program to convert from PS to TT. This is not what Paul did with Verdana. He slightly edited a highly-optimized, highly-hinted TT font without displacing the hand-hints (which took hundreds of hours of highly paid work to get there). You seem to have autto-converted from one format to another (given that most Adobe fonts are PS even when the extension is .otf -- otf being a wrapper which can encompass either PS or TT data), and of course you will have poor screen resolution because TT must be hand-hinted to look good on screen. If you want Courier, you might look at HP's once-free and maybe still-free Courier Dark, which is intended to address the problems in Adobe's and Microsoft's too-thin Courier.
I'm sure it's my bad, Bill. I wanted to emulate Paul, save with
Courier. Maybe, since .otf, as you say, is PS+TrueType, I simply did
not save the edited font properly. There might be PS choices I
missed, since I really didn't know what I was doing, which is to say
hacking around. Let me look again, given what you've said here. Many
thanks for the explanation.

Michael Norman
PS: Strangely, an old version of NotaBene, V7, displayed the edited font fine, but V8i did not. I'm sure they changed the screen handling in draft view. I use courier, with a little extra letting, because it is so much easier to edit text in that font.