Re: U2

Judith Davidsen wrote:

>I just realized that ctrl, alt and shft also don't seem to
>have any function when not used in combination with other
>keys: could the U2 helpkey be assigned to one of them?

But then the key would not be usable incombination, i.e. when
you tried to use a combination key (say, ctrl-A) the Ctrl
function would take precedence as soon as it is pressed

------------------
And you previously wrote....
>I am about to start searching for a suitable key to convert
>to a U2 helpkey, and welcome any suggestions, especially for
>potential helpkeys that can be used alone and not in
>combination with ctrl, alt, sft etc.
>
>Since I'm using a laptop, I have an Fn key that currently
>seems to be used only in combination with other keys, but
>this key doesn't show up on any of my keyboard maps. Does
>anyone know if there is a number for this key, or whether it
>is safe to assign it for use alone, in non-combination, as a
>help key? Would this disable it for use in combinations?
>
>What about F1, which is now a help key, or F10 which calls
>drop-down help boxes? With U2 installed, do I still need
>these?

I have no answer to the above, but in attempting to develop a
personal keyboard layout several years ago, I needed to know
what the scan codes were.

My original Xy keyboard had 83 keys, and when I got a
newer keyboard ended up with a variety of glitches
(including the difference with the two sets of arrow keys
discussed a week or two ago here). It gets even more complicated
n Canada because some keyboards are multilingual and return odd
characters.

My solution was to create a special keyboard file ("TEST.KBD")
which returns the scan code for every single key exept one, and allows
me to find keys that are otherwise not used when I match to
my proper keybaord file (saved as "PAULS.KBD") The method might be
of use in playing with your keyboad

The file is tedious to create -- (I could send a copy to anyone who
wants it) -- but the method is quite simple & could be used on your
laptop or whatever.

It requires a statement of the number of keys on your computer
e.g.

KEYS=110

Then a table with numbers 1 to the number of keys (e.g. 110 above)
The first key (1) is the escape key, and is ***required*** or you
will lock up your keyboard and never get out of XyWrite.

The scan code for any key will show up on the prompt line
when you press the key. Pressing ESC will abort the test
and return you to your own keyboard
(substitute the name of the keyboard file). I suspect this
will not work as shown in XY4, but with fiddling it might.

TABLE=
1=bc,l,o,a,d, ,p,a,u,l,s,.,k,b,d,xc
2=bc, ,2
3=bc, ,3