Re: XyWrite for Windows---HELP

** Reply to note from Jon Huber  Tue, 13 May 1997 13:21:04 -0400

> I need a suggestion to get XyWrite for Windows running again on a Dell
> Pentium running Windows 3.X. I tried reinstalling XyWrite to no avail.
> The program locks up (the status line indicates it is loading a font
> file) when going through the start up.

Possibly you are simply seeing the last status PRompt to _successfully_ be
issued. Try opening XWSTART.INT [see note below], and inserting an right
right after the line that loads XWSET.DFL (or a "UWF #" command, whichever comes
first). If that works, then move the  command down one line at a time, QUIT
and relaunch XyWin, until you find the line that's causing XyWin to crash.

How do you open XWSTART.INT if you can't launch XyWin? Use another editor. The
guillemets are Ascii-173 and 174. Or, trying starting XyWin without
having XWSTART in the XyWin directory (move it temporarily to a directory out
of the DOS path). XyWin will be in rudimentary
shape, but it should load (albeit crippled -- this will at least tell you whether
XW.EXE is working!). Then you can CAll XWSTART.INT in the other directory, insert
the , move XWSTART.INT back into the XyWin dir, and commence debugging.

Lemme know.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx