Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Carl Distefano wrote:

Why not simply:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
[BX_]fn1[Q2_].{tab}{<}EX{>}[cr|lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE
Thanks for the helpful critique. I thought of that. But then I
thought, "Surely that's too simple. Real programmers would save
the matter to be inserted to a SG, then PV." I suppose that's the
programming equivalent of what in grammar we call
hypercorrection: the person who is reprimanded for "that's him"
(which is technically ungrammatical, but definitely idiomatic)
starts saying "between you and I" and "give it to she" (which are
both ungrammatical and unidiomatic).
I assumed that putting EX in there would close the window for
entering the footnote matter, but I see it doesn't. But what are
the two CR/LF s for? They don't seem to do anything.

Or, better still, with error-checking:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
[BX_]fn1[Q2_]{<}IF@not({<}ER{>}){>}.{tab}{<}EI{>}{<}EX{>}[cr|
lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE
Of course, always error checking, but I at first did not see how
it would be possible to have an error condition. Later, of
course, it occurred to me that if you called the routine from the
CommanDLine (with the cursor NOT in text), you would definitely
have an error condition. So yes, by all means.
Or, on the CMline (STACK it!):

xm BXfn1Q2[if@not([er])].	[ei]

Yes, but that takes as many keystrokes as Fn1 . {tab} if not more.
Or, in the KBD file:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
nn=NOJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2x,m, ,B,X,f,n,1,Q,2,[,i,f,@,n,
o,t,(,[,e,r,],),],.,{tab},[,e,i,],NO[cr|lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE
Would that be more saving of memory than first creating a frame, then assigning NOJM2,.,m,k,f,t,n,Q2 ?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx