Re: OT: Hand-me-down Thinkpad is down for the count (?)

J R FOX wrote:
rather, it lights up
for a second or two with the ThinkPad logo, then the
screen gives a "0190 -- Low Battery" error and the
laptop shuts off -- all inside of two seconds. The
battery should have been fully charged, if it can hold
a charge.
That sounds like an ancient Compaq laptop I have. The dealer
warned me there was no warranty on the battery, and indeed it
would not charge. So I got a new one. (The appropriate model.)
Started charging, registered 98% charged for three days, and when
I unplugged it, immediately reported "Battery run down, save your
work." Runs OK off the mains though, with no battery in, unlike
your Tpad. It appears as if the current-sensing, battery-charging
circuitry in laptops is prone to flakiness.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx