Re: AW: Xy on Mac revisited

At 02:37 PM 12/9/2006, David Auerbach wrote:
Virtual PC is irrelevant on the intel Macs. For them you can use
Parallels.
Two issues on this thread in general: how fast is XY under Parallels?
And how does it look? For the visually punctilious on the list,
screen nuts like me, the new MacBook Pro models seem lacking. The
matte finish screen has that gray screen-door effect, and the glossy
version takes the light gray cross hatching and renders into a
massive smudge. Native resolution on the 15.4-inch screen is only 1280 by 800.
I admit, I obsess. And I suspect I have good company on this list,
sitting at the screen morning till night turning around sentences. My
ThinkPad T41 runs at 1600X1200 and everything on its matte screen
looks bright and crisp. The new X-60 has a special-order 15-inch
screen that, essentially, gives the same sharp resolution. Run XY in
a TAME console full screen and the type on the two ThinkPads is
simply stunning. My family is half Mac though, and, generally
speaking, I like their laptops, all that software, that easy
interface. It would be great to get some consistency around here,
but the Apple displays kill it for me. (NB: on the desktop I run two
side-by-side Sony SDM HS75P's driven by a Matrox Millennium P650 dual
head. Sony's are glossy and backlit.)
Michael Norman