Re: [Off Topic] Windows Genuine Advantage

Patricia wrote:
To check ONCE would be reasonable. To check every two weeks?
Hmmm. I see your point. Granted that I don't know the business issues, it
would seem reasonable to check once then only prior to sending upgrades.
 (And I believe the initial release did it more often).
Daily, but MS says that that was because it was a beta and they needed to
get a lot of data on how the software was responding.
 How, pray tell, would a legitimate copy somehow become illegitimate?
Wouldn't the worry be: you buy one legit copy, then make hundreds of
illegit copies for re-sale. But then that could be (and probably already
is) checked automatically when the pirated copy is installed.
If this is worth pursuing (and maybe not, it's just that I'm a philosopher
so I like to pursue the logic) . . . turn it around: what value, proper or
improper, could MS get from having pointless revalidations of the software
license--hundreds of millions of them?!
What has a lot of people in a snit is the underhanded MO.
It did look to me like they went about this in a way that was foreseeably
going to raise hackles.
nobody knows what other information about your system M$ is gathering.
But does anybody really believe MS is going to sell info to advertisers or
something like that? That would be business suicide.
And the fact that the initial version was in fact a beta, but M$ didn't reveal that when it offered to download it. (That came out after the false positives for pirated copies surfaced.)

Agreed.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx