Re: Re[2]: PostGhost error

** Reply to message from Jonathan & Rachel Craft  on Mon, 4
Dec 2006 09:40:09 +0630

Jonathan:

> Is there a way to make PostGhost Alt+Tab to GSView instead of what it
> does, or would that require a lot of work, like changing GoXY?

Could you describe this more particularly? You want PostGhost to process your
file but _not_ switch you to GSview? Or run GSview as a separate (not shelled)
process, so that you can toggle (Alt-Tab) between adjacent (Z-order) XyWrite
and GSview processes? Or... you want to see the Ghostscript console? Or ...
what?

If you just want to be able toggle between Xy and GSview, then do this:

in U2 frame {{5PostGhost}}, CAREFULLY change:

 BX dos/nv/z /c Go«PV01».EXE "GSview" 1400 f /key(JW{WM})Q2
to:
 BX dos/nv/z /c kmd.exe/c start Go«PV01».EXE "GSview" 1400Q2

then go to the command line and command:
 LOADHELP

Henceforth, after you run PostGhost against a Xy4 text file, you can Alt-Tab
freely between Xy4 and GSview. *Requires* that KMD.EXE be installed in the DOS
Path, e.g. in [BootDrive]:\windows\system32 -- presumably, if you installed U2
according to instructions (unlike HARRY BINSWANGER, of the shaven head), then
KMD is there already.

I confess that I've long debated whether to do it this (altered) way, or the
way I finally set it up in the public U2 distribution (which ties you to GSview
until you close it, but auto-returns focus to XyWrite on exit from GSview).
For my habits, the latter course makes more sense: I use GSview (a lot!) as a
quick preview, but I don't dwell there (because there's nothing to do there,
except maybe admire those PS Type 1 glyphs, or perhaps Print if you can't find
(one of many) better ways -- it's really just a one-shot, non-editable glimpse
at the file rendered as a printed document -- but very handy nonetheless, aye?).

As for the "PostGhost error", it is hardly a PostGhost thing -- it has to do
with resetting modes in the video adapter. I presume we're talking about 50
lines in Full Screen view, not in a Desktop window? Isn't 50 lines the default
in XP? You can get 50 lines to stick everywhere by making changes in the
Windows Registry (in HKLM\Current_User\Console, IIRC, under Win2K) -- but
basically 25 lines suits me just fine, and I scrap the 50 line default ASAP.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx