Re: XY4 can not find directory

At 11:48 Uhr -0400 12.05.2002, Carl Distefano wrote:
>Reply to note from "Yo Intl. YK"  Sun, 12 May 2002
>03:03:58 +0900
>
>> It beeps, and "File not found" appears for a split second. Is
>> that what you mean?
>
>I'm trying to figure out what *you* mean.
>
>1) Your subject says "cannot find drive", but your example deals
>with a specific directory, DIR D:\X\*.*. Does the error happen with
>other directories on drive D:, or just \X?

Sorry, typo. It can find everything, except this specific *directory*.
Annoys the hell ouf of me.

>2) Can you PLEASE, immediately after the error occurs, issue the
>command VA/NV $ER and report back to us what NUMBER the command
>returns? Is it 392 or some other value?

Yes, "392".

>3) Now try this: Command D WA=72. Again issue the DIR command that
>causes the error.

Woha! XYwrite freezes completely when I do that.

>Pay close attention to the error message(s) that
>follow the command. Is there more than one error message? If so,
>quote them all to us, in succession. Remember to return your WAit
>value to 0 or whatever value you use.

No error message after this at all --- XY is a dead fish now, something
that I otherwise never see with XY.

>4) What happens with variants of the DIR command:

OK, I restarted and tried:
>DIR/NA : Same. No file found.
>DIR/FI: Same. No file found.
>DIR/PA; I get a "(...)", although there are several files in the directory.
>DIR/NA/FI: No file found
>DIR/NA/PA: I get a listing of all the DRIVES on my computer.
>DIR/SU: No file found
>DIR D:\X+: No file found
>
>5) What happens if you issue a dir command via DOS:
>DOS/NV/Z /C D:\X
>DOS/NV/Z /K D:\X

Via DOS, I do not have the problem in the first place! DOS works just fine,
as does XY3, and NotaBene. It is only XY4 that gives me trouble.

>6) When was the last time you ran CHKDSK or SCANDISK on drive D:?
>This error could be a sign of incipient disk failure; for most
>people, a very "big deal".

I Scandisc every time a Windows program crashes on me.... last time a
couple of weeks ago.
No other problems whatsoever in my system.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)
-- "The power of accurate observation is commonly called
-- cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw