Re: Messing with AUTOEXEC.BAT

Nathan Sivin said:
 <
 < already know) is that Warp not only doesn't replace Windoze, it doesn't
 < even replace DOS. I am willing to replace an operating system setup (DOS
 < 6 + WFW 3.11) that works perfectly well, but not to add another on top of
 < it. So I will wait for the full version in January, by which time the bugs
 < will be more apparent and, I hope, the fixes available. I'm not sure what
you (or they perhaps) are talking about here. If you get Warp you can toss DOS
(since except for some games an OS/2 VDM will do perfectly well any DOS
programs INCLUDING Windows). You are not adding anything ON TOP; OS/2 is the
bottom. You can run its version of DOS (indeed many sessions of it) to your
heart's content with DOS 6.? being in the room. For Windoze programs you
simply need to do a slective install of your Windows; OS/2 will manufacture its
hooks to that code and you can run Windows quite happily from your preexisting
Windows code. If some illtrained support person at IBM told you differently
they are wrong. The difference between the "full" version and the current Warp
is that the current one uses your existing Windows code (and why not, you
already paid for it) whereas the Jan. release will have Windows code in it (and
hence havy to pay a royalty to Gates). But that is pointless is you already
own Windows. You'll be running Windows from within OS/2. This has the slight
advantage (well major for some people, it depends) that when a Windows session
crashes you still have your machine up and running.

-- Voice: (919) 515-6331               David D. Auerbach
Master-Alias: David_Auerbach@xxxxxxxx       Box 8103 Actual Address:
auerbach@xxxxxxxx       NCSU local address: auerbach
Raleigh, NC 27695-8103