Re: Slow performing xywrite

** Reply to message from OHammond@xxxxxxxx on Fri, 25 May 2001 14:02:36 +1000

I've seen this with XY4.18 DOS on Windows 2000. So far as I can tell, some of
the display settings for things like window colors, etc. in the menus take over
the DOS session's memory and cause everything in XY to run very, very slow. In
at least some instances, the problem seems to be specific to particular video
hardware. Quitting Xy and reloading it always cures the problem, at least for
awhile.

The solution has been to first, identify the action which causes the slowdown,
and second, to find the particular setting that is causing the problem and
change it. Once you identify the particular action which is causing the
slowness, you can change one setting at a time until you find the one that's
causing the problem. We have tracked down and eliminated about 4 or 5 causes in
this way. None of the changes has had any material impact on the look and feel
of Xy.

For example (previously reported to this list on 19 Jan 2001): Opening a menu
dialog (e.g., Control + F for fonts menu) causes slowness thereafter. The
solution was to change the "b" value in Default CR (cursor type) from 112 to 0.

Perhaps someone with an understanding of how to monitor memory usage in a
Windows DOS session can add something to this.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx