Off-topic: What laptop to buy for my daughter for college?

My daughter needs a laptop for college. She doesn't use XYDOS, so DOS
compatibility is not an issue. However, price and quality are. At
college she'll need ethernet, wireless, Word, Excel, & Powerpoint. If
she goes with XP, she needs XP Pro.

I've been happy with my Thinkpad T40. However with the sale of Thinkpad
to Lenovo, I'm not sure we want to go that route.

I've urged her to get a Mac, but she's used to Windows interface. The
plus for a Mac is that most models come with all the hardware she
needs.

I swore I'd never get another Dell because of their lousy rebate
handling.

Any recommendations, advice, etc.?

Many thanks in advance,
Lisa